Halloween has become an increasingly important retail holiday. Last year $310 million was spent on pet costumes alone. Is your business making the most of Halloween sales opportunities? Whether you have a grooming shop, retail pet shop or a combination of pet services and retail, the following simple suggestions could help increase your business’s Halloween traffic and sales.
- Fun Photos: Halloween is great for photo ops. Invite your customers to come in on a designated day to have their pet photographed in their Halloween costumes. Offer a free professional print of the photo with a store purchase. Post the pictures on your social media site.
- Host a Costume Contest: Invite your customers to dress up their pets and themselves. Be sure to have snacks for pets and people. Give store credit or Halloween themed products to the winners. Pick the scariest, funniest, etc.
- Get to know your Neighbors — Host a main street event like a Halloween Pet Parade or Trick or Treat Main Street pet friendly event. This is a great way for multiple businesses to work together and cross promote. Chose a normally slow business night, encourage shops that might close earlier to stay open for the event. Your store could provide the pet treats to hand out for people trick or treating with their pets. Be sure to attach a business card or have a sign that treats were provided by your business. Do the same for your neighbors. Don’t forget to invite the press, the Chamber of Commerce and local celebrities as appropriate. Local coverage of your event is a great way to increase goodwill towards your business and to get some free advertising.
- Provide Information: Make a flyer of Halloween pet safety tips. Be sure to highlight any related products you carry such as reflective leashes, LED products, calming products, etc.
- Creative Grooming: If you are a groomer there are lots of ways to include a little Halloween spirit. Halloween themed nails painted in black, orange, and or purple.
During the month of October send clients home with a Halloween bandanna or bow. Offer Halloween themed stencil art or other creative grooming options such as feathers. Don’t be afraid to charge for Halloween themed add-on grooming services!
- Themed Displays and Bundling Products: Be sure to have some Halloween themed decorations and retail displays. Sell Halloween themed toys or black/orange or purple toys, and a reflective leash. Bundling helps to increase the total sale and suggests product combinations to your customers that they might not have thought of.
Kick off the profitable holiday season with fun and creative Halloween ideas and enjoy spooktacular sales!